- What is Crime Stoppers?
Lyon County Crime Stoppers is a non-profit organization that works to provide anonymous tips to Law Enforcement through various means. Crime Stoppers is overseen by a civilian board that cooperates with Law Enforcement Coordinators to distribute tips that are submitted and rewards to the public.
- How do I remain anonymous?
You can contact Lyon County Crime Stoppers four different ways.
- Call 620-342-2273. A trained staff member of a Crime Stoppers call center will talk to you and take the information for your tip. The call center does not have the ability to monitor phone numbers and they will not ask for personal information.
- New: Submit a tip on the web. P3 forwards the tip information to local Law Enforcement. P3 software does not track personal information.
- New: Submit a tip via the P3 smartphone application. This software forwards the tip to local Law Enforcement. P3 software does not track personal information.
- New: Go to the Lyon County Crime Stoppers Facebook page and select "submit a tip". That link leads to the P3 tip website.
- Is there a reward for calling?
Cash rewards are paid on tips that help solve a crime or that result in the arrest of a wanted person. Rewards are determined by the Crime Stoppers Board of Directors and vary based on the crime. Cash rewards of up to $1,000 are paid by non-law enforcement personnel through a “coded” exchange to protect your identity.
- Can a minor call?
Of course! There is no age restriction on anyone calling. However, there are Crime Stoppers programs at the Emporia High School (EHS), which may be more comfortable for students to call. You can reach the EHS Crime Stoppers at 341-CEHS.
- Who benefits?
Everyone! Your community and neighborhood becomes a safer place to live. Young and old can show responsibility without the rear of retaliation. Crimes that have frustrated victims and officers have a better chance of being solved when we all work together.
- How effective is crime stoppers?
Since the beginning of Lyon County Crime Stoppers in 1986, nearly 300 warrants have been issued and over 600 cases solved; more than $405,000 in property recovered; nearly $700,00 of property damage cleared; and over $1,000,000 of narcotics taken off our streets.
- Do tax dollars support crime stoppers?
No. Lyon County Crime Stoppers is supported through donations from businesses, service organizations, corporations, fund-raisers and your personal contributions.
- Can I help?
Yes! Tell your friends, family and neighbors about Crime Stoppers. Invest in a safer community. Your contributions are greatly appreciated!